19th Field Regt RA

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Chris Harris Chris Harris 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Chris Harris
    Chris Harris
    Participant

I have now completed my studies on 67th Field Regiment in WW2 and have their complete story from training in the UK to Tunisia, Italy and Palestine. Having purchased The Eyes and Ears of the Regiment by Richard Whitfield, along with a copy of Ubique referred to by him, written by A M Cheetham MC of 2nd Field Regiment RA.
    They were part of 1st Infantry Division along with 2nd Field Regiment and 19th Field Regiment. Each Regiment being assigned to an infantry Brigade. I am putting them all together in one folder if possible.
    However I am having difficulty finding anything on the 19th. They became The Scottish Gunners not that many years ago and their historical references of to going to war as the 17th renaming to the 19th in 1947 is of some concern as both the men of 67th and 2nd Field Regiments refer to the 19th at Medjez, Anzio and The Gothic Line. At Anzio two officers who earned the MC (one at Medjez one at Anzio) were transferred from 67th to the 19th to make up for casualties so they obviously fought as the 19th in 1st Infantry Division in WW2.
    Does anyone have any info on them.

• #16193 Reply
    Chris Harris
    Chris Harris
    Participant

No replies on here yet but it is sometimes better to start at home.
    My neighbour aged 86 was chatting recently only to reveal that he learned to drive and passed his test on post war National Service in Rhyl using Quads in the RA.
    He was in the 19th Field Regt RA in the early 1950’s.
    He served in Dortmund in what was then the occupying force in Germany.

The Scottish Gunners ads say that the 19th went to Korea but my neighbour tells me this was rubbish.
    They were preparing to go but replaced at the last minute by a Norfolk based Regiment so breathed a sigh of relief at missing the War, spending their time in Germany.

Unfortunately he cant remember any details from stories regarding WW2 although the old sweats who served in N Africa were adamant that the 25 pdr in the anti tank roll was only for desperate situations as the shells bounced off. The best bet was to pull out and leave it to the A/T gunners or the Airforce. Perhaps this was before the improved propellant Supercharge and A/P round was issued plus the guns fitted with the muzzle brake to reduce recoil circa 1943/44.
    Any comments welcomed.

Reply To: 19th Field Regt RA
Your information: