Father awarded Italy Star but not served in Italy

Welcome to the Italy Star Association 1943-1945 website Forums Lost Trails Father awarded Italy Star but not served in Italy

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Roger ForemanRoger Foreman

My father Albert Ernest Foreman (army no 2114756) was in the Royal Engineers. His war record (Military history sheet) shows that he was given the Italy Star. However his war record, which appears to be complete and accounts for all his service does not show any service in Italy or any other European country. All of his overseas service was in Africa, Egypt and Middle East. Are you able to help me with this anomaly?

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta

Roger.

Your father’s Service Record should tell you which Field Company or Field Park Company he was in. If you give me the number or numbers – 59 Fd Coy RE, I should be able to tell you were that sub-unit was deployed.

Regards

Frank

Roger ForemanRoger Foreman

Frank
      Thanks for your offer.
      It was 551 A TPs Coy RE. Also it mentions 74 C.W. Coy.

Roger

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta

Roger.

The survey for the Taunton Stop Line was carried out by 516th Corps Field
      Survey Company Royal Engineers, and detailed maps prepared. Work of construction began in mid-July 1940, and was undertaken, in the northern sectors,by 552nd Army Troops Company Royal Engineers, and in the southern, including Axminster, by 551st Army Troops Company Royal Engineers.

551st Army Troops Company RE were nominated for overseas service in Sep 40 and arrived in N Africa in Dec 1940. In Egypt by Jan 41 (under command Cairo Base Sub-Area). Unit destroyed installations in retreat to Egyptian frontier. With Tobruk Fortress Apr–Nov 41. With Eighth Army at Gazala May 42, and again in Feb 43. Served in Italy 1943-45. Disbanded Sep 1945+.

In serving in Italy, they would have gone wherever the Eighth Army went. Calabria, Foggia, Sangro, Cassino, Arezzo, Florence, Rimini, Po Valley, Trieste.

Not sure where 74 CW Coy RE were deployed.

Regards

Frank

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>