James William Aldred Condron

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hello

My Grandfather, James William Alfred Condron, served in the North Africa and Italy campaigns. I believe he was in the artillery and served at Tobruk, El Alamein and Monte Cassino.

It’s my Dad’s 70th birthday this year, and I am going to take him to visit Monte Cassino where his father fought. For this I’d also like to present him with as much information about James William Alfred Condron’s war experiences as possible.

Is there anyone in the Association who might have details of what he did during the war, what he would have done in the battles mentioned above, and (probably a stretch) any photos of him in the war? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

James

James.

If you want to take your father to Cassino, I am running a trip on 8-11 Jun 17. Check out my website http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk

Once you have worked out which Regiment he was in, I can place him on the battlefield.

Regards

Frank

James CondronJames Condron

Hi Frank

That’s very kind of you. Unfortunately I’ve already booked a trip to Italy in October where we are doing the battlefield your.

My Grandfather was in the 53rd (Bolton) Field Artillery, but was transferred to the 8th Indian Provost Unit.

I’d love to find out exactly where he would have been stationed around Cassino with a view to maybe visiting.

Also, were there other battles close by that he (or at least the unit) were involved in? I read about the Battle of River Rapido.

Also, where might I find any photos of the military police in Italy please?

Thanks for your help.

James

James CondronJames Condron
      Participant

I now know that my Grandfather was in the Provost unit of the 8th Indian division. Could anyone provide me with information about what he’d have done during the Italy campaign and in particular during the battle of Monte Cassino, which I am visiting later this year? I believe the 8th Indian were involved in crossing the River Rapido, but what role would a Military Policeman have played? I’d be so grateful for any information

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta
      Participant

James.

If you have yet to go to Cassino, I would be happy to have you on my 17-20 May 44 event. It would be a good opportunity to show you the ground for which 8 Inf Div was responsible during the Fourth Battle and to explain the roles of the Military Police.

Regards

Frank

http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>