Contact us

ITALY STAR ASSOCIATION

1943-1945

SICILY TARANTO . ANZIO . SALERNO SANGRO . FOGGIA .
ANCONA CORIANO . FLORENCE . ORTONA BOLOGNA .
ARGENTA . PO VALLEY. CASSINO

EAST KENT BRANCH

Miss Terri Camm
teresacamm@yahoo.co.uk

SOUTH ISLAND BRANCH – NEW ZEALAND

Mr Peter Scott
peter.judy@actrix.co.nz

“When you walk in peaceful lanes so green – remember us – and think what might have been”

We do remember them.

Veterans of the Italian Campaign, allied families and supporters!

1. Cor Roest

Thank you so much for all that. I have emailed you separately via your cassinobattlefields enquiries email address.

Thanks again,

Cor

Cor.

Capt EC Colville served on the staff of 128 Infantry Brigade which was made up of 2 Hampshires, 1/4 Hampshires and 5 Hampshires. It was known as the Hampshire Brigade.

The Brigade had a very rough time in the Salerno Landings and then pushed north to cross the Volturno in mid-Oct 43. They were involved in the Second Battle of Monte Camino in early Dec 43 and the failed crossing of the Garigliano on 19 Jan 44 before spending Feb-Mar 44 in the cold, windy and wet hills beyond the Garigliano. It was a very grim two months. It was from these hills south of Cassino that he would have witnessed the bombing of the monastery on 15 Feb 44. In Mar 44, the Division was exhausted and withdrawn to North Africa for rest and rebuild. The Division returned to Italy in time for the assault on the massive Gothic Line at Rimini in Sep 44.

3. David TaggDavid Tagg

Does the Association hold a list of everyone who was awarded the Italy Star?
    My late father,Eric W G Tagg, has one, but I cannot find any
    record of where he was stationed in 1944.
    Can you help me?
    Many thanks,
    David Tagg

David.

You need to get his Service Record. Go to http://www.gov.uk and type in ‘How do I obtain a Service Record’.

That will show you exactly where he went and when.

1. David TaggDavid Tagg

Thank you Frank, I’ve obtained his RAF record from MOD RAF records,(it’s taken 5 months due to Covid 19)but the only reference to a possible posting to Italy is a MACAF (Mediterranean Air Command Air Force) note dated October 1944,but no details to where he was stationed.
      David Tagg.

He could have just been passing through. The medal was awarded for 24 hours in country.

6. David TaggDavid Tagg

Oh, ok Frank thanks for that.

David

7. Maria

In case you didn’t realize, the word “parte” on your site is spelled incorrectly. I had similar issues on my website which hurt my credibility until someone pointed it out and I discovered some of the services like SpellHelper.com or SpellingCheck.com which help with these type of issues.

8. Richard Mathews

Hi, This is my first post. My late father, Gwyn Bevan Mathews – army number 7909202. His service record shows HQ Squadron British 6th Armoured Division from 1941 -46. He fought in Tunisia, Italy and ended the war in Austria. I have been unable to identify the unit he served in and would appreciate any help to resolve this. Many thanks.

Richard.

Apologies. I see that you have his Service Record.

His number is from the batch allocated to the Royal Armoured Corps.

Go to http://www.ww2talk.com and post the Service Record. Someone will be along to have a look and see if they can work it out.

1. Richard Mathews

Frank, thanks for your response. I will take your advice and post his service record to the website and hope that I can make progress in identifying his unit.
      Best regards
      Richard Mathews

10. Michael ROTHON

My grandfather served in the Royal horse artillery 8th army he was Robert Thornton I know very little of his war be leave he was wounded would like to know more