Join the Association

Please join us by contacting, in the first instance, the National Chairman, National Vice – Chairman or National Treasurer (click here for contact details)

Alternatively, click here to download a membership application form

1. Janet Barkway

Hello Frank

My wife Janet is having trouble getting a message to you via your website so please can you contact her direct on janetseaside@hotmail.com she can then send you photographs of the book if you so wish.
    Best Regards
    Edward

Edward.

Janet has reached me. Thank you so much.

I had not seen that book before.

3. Peter Leedale

My late father, John Leedale was in the Royal Artillery, he served in North Africa and then in the Italian Campaign. He was wounded and taken prisoner by the Germans at the Battle of Monte Casino and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp until he was repatriated by the Americans. He lived in Blackpool.

Peter.

Do you know specifically which Regiment in the Royal Artillery he was in when he was captured? The majority of the Royal Artillery manned the guns a few miles back but small numbers were up with the infantry units controlling the fire of those guns. I suspect that he was one of these men.

1. Peter Leedale

Frank, Thank you for your reply very sorry I’ve only just seen your comment, better late than never though. My dad was in the signallers, he and about 5 others were sent to lay telephone wires. As they were going forward to do this everyone else seemed to be going back to previous positions. I guess when you are told to go forward in the army you carry on until told otherwise. My dad and his comrades were suddenly surrounded by the Germans and then taken prisoner. Again, very many thanks for your reply, so sorry for the delay but I’m not familiar with how these sites
      work. Cheers.Peter

Peter.

Do you know what Regiment he was in and whether it was Field, Medium, Heavy, Light Anti-Aircraft, Survey or Heavy Anti-Aircraft. Once we have his Regiment, I can work out a bit more.

As a Regimental Signaller, he would have laid a lot of line.

1. Peter Leedale

Many Thanks Frank,

I will have look through any information that I have, there is not much but I will check.

Many thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Peter.

1. Peter Leedale

Hi Frank,

Me again. I managed to find my dad’s name on a military records site. The information was brief but they had him down with the Royal Artillery as a ‘Gunner’ with the number 1146126. I’m not sure if this information is enough for you, please let me know if I need to find anything further.
            Many thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Peter.

Peter.

I recommend that you go to http://www.ww2talk.com and enter what information that you have. Because he was wounded, someone on the site will have access to sites that record wounded soldiers.

If they come up trumps, the Regiment that he was serving in when he was wounded will come up.

5. Rosemarie kibble

My father Charlie Corden was in the RASC. He was in Italy and in October 1944 they received a commendation for their work involving a mule train.
    I am going to apply for his service record. We know nothing about this part of his life as he never spoke about it.
    Any knowledge would be much appreciated.

Rosemarie.

Please share his Service Record when you get. I am very keen on mules in Italy, and it would be good to know where he was operating in Italy.

7. Lee RedgriftLee Redgrift

Hi, My Grandfather was posted from 1st HAA England to Sicily in Aug 1943. He was transferred to X(4) RATD February 1945, Then the following month he was transferred to X(4) A.
    He later signed up after being awarded his Italy star to draft RAJPN India.
    The reason why i’m here for any help is that i cannot find any mention of the X list, RATD RAJPN abbreviations even through military websites. Can anyone help piece my Grandads service please..

Lee.

If you go to http://www.ww2talk.com, one of the experts on the site will explain all three to you.

If I recall, there is a whole thread devoted to decyphering Service Records.

8. Julia

Hi my grandad Ronald whittle (2720644) Irish guards was in North Africa and Italy 10.05.43 – 04.02.44 and then POW in Germany Leipzig I think he was captured in Anzio (05.02.44 -15.05.45 ) . I am interested to know how he was captured – also no idea why he joined the Irish guards as is from West Yorkshire – was there a recruitment drive – mainly interested to see what articles there are about how he was captured etc . My dad is 70 and my grandad is dead – I never met him – he had stomach complications they said this was because at the end of the war the POW were left with no food – not sure if this is true or how bad this was – can you help thanks

Julia.

Get me through my website http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk and I will give you what I have on 1 IG at Anzio. Your grandfather was fortunate to survive because 1 IG got brutalised in an attack towards Campoleone on 29-30 Jan 44 and most of the Battalion was destroyed.

If he was captured on 5 Feb 44, it was when the German were counter-attacking the area around Aprilia.

9. Paul Goddard

Hi all , I have got many years remembered my mums cousin who died during the campaigns.
    He was trooper Bertie Coote from Luton of the north Irish horse and who died 5 aug 1944.

Paul

Paul.

You should get in touch with the North Irish Horse Association. I guided members of the Association at Cassino last year where we looked in detail at the NIH’s attack on the Hitler Line in support of 2 Canadian Indian Brigade.

They were absolutely delightful.

1. Paul Goddard

Thanks for the info, I’ll contact them and start my journey with you and the remaining few

Paul