2nd Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery

Welcome to the Italy Star Association 1943-1945 website Forums Lost Trails 2nd Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Diane Belanger-VenaDiane Belanger-Vena

I’m retracing the steps of my grandfather during WW2.  He was awarded 1939-45 Star, the Italy Star, France and Germany Star and Defence Star.

He was a gunner Jean Camille Belanger (better known at J.C. Belanger).  I know he spend quite a bit of time in England.

Theatres of Service: Canada, Britain Central Mediterranean Area and Northwest-Europe.

I am in particular trying to research where he was physically on D-Day.

Thank you

Diane Vena

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta
      Participant

Diane.

If your grandfather served in 2 Fd Regt RCA then he was not at D Day and the majority of his war was spent in Italy.

2 Fd Regt RCA was one of the the Field Artillery Regiments that supported 1 Canadian Infantry Division throughout the war.  So you can safely say that wherever 1 Canadian Infantry Division went then so did 2 Fd Regt RCA.

In Italy, from my perspective as a battlefield guide, they had three big encounters – Ortona in Dec 43, Cassino in May 44 and the Gothic Line at Rimini in Sep 44.

In Jan 45, the two Divisions of I (Cdn) Corps – 1 Canadian Infantry Division and 5 Canadian Armoured Division, were moved from Italy to North West Europe to reinforce the Canadian Army there.

Regards

Frank

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>