Charles Dye Transferred to Ox & Bucks -Battle Of Montecassino

Welcome to the Italy Star Association 1943-1945 website Forums Lost Trails Charles Dye Transferred to Ox & Bucks -Battle Of Montecassino

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Michelle Hurrell

Hi all,

I am thinking of applying for my grandfather’s Army Records from Glasgow. I am particularly interested in his service in Italy, where he was transferred from his original regiment, The Black Watch Regiment to The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire  Regiment. He was injured at Montecassino and invalided out to Edenhall, Edinburgh. I am a unsure of his regimental number in the Ox & Bucks but I know of his reg.no. in The Black Watch?

The question is would I have to apply for his records separately?

Kind regards

Michelle

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta
      Participant

Michelle.

A soldier keeps his Regimental Number no matter where he moves to in the Army so the one issued to him for the Black Watch will have been the same as for his time in Ox & Bucks LI.

6th Battalion Black Watch were at the Fourth Battle of Monte Cassino in May 44 as part of 12 Infantry Brigade who were part of 4 Infantry Division who were themselves part of XIII (British) Corps.

4 Infantry Division had the tricky task of crossing the Gari/Rapido river.  They did with 28 Infantry Brigade and 10 Infantry Brigade in the initial river crossing and 12 Infantry Brigade in reserve to exploit the success.  It is likely that he was wounded in that exploitation phase as 12 Infantry Brigade pushed towards Rome in full few of the monastery which, at the time, was still full of Germans.

Regards

Frank

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>