Cpl. Alan R Gassor R.A.S.C.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrew GassorAndrew Gassor
      Participant

Having tried many lines of enquiry I wonder If any one may be able to help?

My father who has now passed away was a driver with the RASC during WW2. We spoke many times as to his time in the Army, but never really in any detail, just snippets of happenings and events. He was in North Africa and then Italy, his records state Egypt, Libya, Algeria and then Italy. Dad was awarded the Africa Star with 8th Army clasp, and the Italy Star. The records state he left N Africa T.O.S MEF 1.9.43 with 910 coy but this is where my research has faltered! In October 43 he became part of 925 Armoured Brigade it appears until he was sent home in Jan 46 within 749 Coy. Dad had a couple of spells in Rest Camp 56 close to Rome and was in Rome on VE day and while pleased to be there, spoke of how some of the retributions were not a pretty site! I seem unable to find much reference in books or web sites as to 925 Armoured Brigade…can anyone help with information as to their passage up Italy please?

Andrew

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta

Andrew.

The only Armoured Brigades in Italy during the war were 4 Armd Bde, 7 Armd Bde, 9 Armd Bde & 23 Armd Bde. Two Tank Brigades were also there – 21 Tk Bde and 25 Tk Bde.

The best thing for you to do is to go to http://www.gov.uk and type in ‘Get a copy of military Service Records’. That will get you to the page where you can ask MoD for your father’s Service Record. This will give you the complete record of his time in the Army and, most importantly, the units and sub-units that he served in.

Once you have the units/sub-units, you can then order the War Diaries for them and they contain lots and lots of information about where in Italy they operated.

Regards

Frank
      Guide
      http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk

Participant

Frank,
      Many thanks for your reply.
      My info in the above does come from my father’s records, these I sent for a couple of years ago. Possibly I’m reading the records wrong but under section B Unit it gives 910 and further down 925, most odd! As I read the first page of the record it states under Unit 925 (although not that clear in longhand) under Unit, Armoured Bde Coy. Possibly it will remain a mystery!
      Regards
      Andrew

Andrew.

An Royal Army Service Corps Armoured Brigade Company is the Supply Company for whichever Armoured Brigade it is supporting. He would therefore have served in 925 Armd Bde Coy RASC. If you get the WDs for 925 Armd Bde Coy RASC, you will be able to follow his activities and locations in Italy.

Regards

Frank

Participant

Frank,

Many thanks, that would explains it, sorry but, one further question, where is the best place to go for those WD?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew.

Get hold of me through my website http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk and I will give the email address of a chap who goes to the National Archives and gets me WDs. He only charges £0.10 per page and what I need arrives on a CD. Very efficient and inexpensive.

Regards

Frank

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>