F G Hart – Lieutenant – 6th Lincolnshire Regiment – Italy Sept 43 – Dec 44

Welcome to the Italy Star Association 1943-1945 website Forums Lost Trails F G Hart – Lieutenant – 6th Lincolnshire Regiment – Italy Sept 43 – Dec 44

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Steve HartSteve Hart
      Participant

I am trying to trace the route that the 6th Lincolnshire Regiment within the 138 Brigade took which my grandad served in as a Lieutenant (Quarter Master) between Dec 43-Oct 44, then Greece returning briefly in 45 when he was injured ( jeep blown up, driver killed) and ended up in hospital in Bari, then transferred to Naples, where he was shipped home.

Steve HartSteve Hart
      Participant

His service number P313651/1 and I have his service record but no idea what his role was.  He would have been 40yrs old, and expert rifle shot and machine gun instructor.

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta
      Participant

Steve.

6 LINCOLNS produced a History of the Sixth Battalion The Lincolnshire Regiment 1940-1945.  It is still in print and available from http://www.naval-military-press.com.  I have also seen his name on a Monthly Officer Return for Feb 44.

Regards

Frank

Guide

http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk

Steve HartSteve Hart
      Participant

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your prompt reply,

I have the book which I am using for the basis of the route the regiment took but I am trying to get to a lower level of detail – e.g. what company he was in , his role, his discharge papers are a list of what regiments and rank but not any detail.

Is the Monthly Officer Return something accessible by me?

Is there a way I can investigate his injury through the medical corps records? I have been looking at the medical corps structure i.e  hospital in Bari, why there it seems a long way away from the front at that time ?

Kindest Regards

Steve

Participant

Steve.

For more detail your would need the War Diaries.  I recommend that you go to http://www.ww2talk.com and post a thread asking for the WDs for 6 LINCOLNS.  Some member of the site may well have some or all of them for the battalion and most people happily share what they have.

If I see you on the site, I will post the WDs that I have for Feb 44 and the Monthly Officer Return for Feb 44.

Regards

Frank

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta. Reason: Error
      Participant

Steve.

I have found a note that says Lt FG Hart joined 6 LINCOLNS from 1st Battalion King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry on 4 Feb 44.

Regards

Frank

Steve HartSteve Hart
      Participant

Frank,

Many thanks for your helpful advice, I have joined the WW2talk.com forum.

Will give you an update how I get on.

Kindest Regards

Steve

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>