Gordon Harvey

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark HarveyMark Harvey
      Participant

Gordon Harvey from Manchester was my father.
      Sadly he died in 1972 so I have no information where he was in Italy apart from where he ended up at the end of the WW2.whic was in Bolzano northern Italy
      He was in The Royal Artillery where he operated in a team that the 5 and half inch field Gun.
      I have no idea what regiment he was in.
      He had both the Africa Star and Italy star so was in North Africa before going across to Italy.
      I have a number of photographs of him with his colleagues.
      Any information I would be grateful to have

Thanks

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta

Mark.

If your father was firing 5.5 inch guns then he would have been in a Medium Regiment Royal Artillery. These are distinct from Field Regiments and Heavy Regiments. They are also distinct from Survey Regiments, Light & Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiments.

They are normally given a number – 56 Med Regt RA.

Knowing that he was in a Medium Regiment seriously narrows down the search.

Regards

Frank

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta

Mark.

The best thing to do is to obtain a copy of your father’s Service Record.

Here is the link: http://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

This will tell you exactly which Regts he served in. From there, we can work out exactly where he was throughout his time in the Army.

Regards

Frank

Mark HarveyMark Harvey

Thanks for the information Frank.
      Did try a few years ago to obtain service record twice but did not get a reply.
      Knowing it would be a medium Regiment is really helpful as you said it narrows it down so thanks for that.
      Regards
      Mark

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>