Grand-Uncle Lal Khan

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi my name is Adnan Ashraf and I am looking for more info on my grand uncle and where his burial place is located. My grand Uncle is Lal Khan a Sepoy in 3rd Battalion, 8th Punjab Regiment with service number 16565. He died November 4, 1943 at the age of 21. He was son of Muhammad Din and Zenib, of Murarian, Gujrat, PAkistan. I think he is buried in Cassino War Cemetery in Province of Frosinone in the Cassino Memorial Area. The only information i found so far about him was on this website:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2071123/LAL%20KHAN

If there is any information you have about him or where his grave is located I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Adnan Ashraf

Hi Adnan,
      Thankyou for your recent post on our Lost Trails page.
      I have checked with the CWGC website and found that your Grand Uncle is only remembered on a panel on the list of the missing in the CGWC Cemetery at Cassino. His name appears on Panel 18. There are many reasons for this, sometimes the casualty cannot be identified or found, or it could be that his battlefield burial site was later destroyed by further military action in that area.
      There are references to the 3rd Battalion 8th Punjab Regiment on the internet so you may be able to fine out a bit more of what his unit were doing around the time of his death. You could also contact the regiment directly to see what information they can give you. If you can gain access to a copy of the Regimental War Diary’s for the period that may also help.
      The service records for the regiment for the period may be held by the UK Government.
      They can be contacted at http://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records
      Good luck
      Regards
      Robin Hollamby

Adnan, I can elaborate, Sepoy Lal Khan is actually located in grave 20 G 4, not the main memorial panel. I placed a poppy on the graves of all in my father’s battalion – every KIA from the 3/8 Punjab Rent (it no longer exists) last May when I went to Cassino. The CWGC list states he died on May 12, 1944. Many of my father’s men did on the River Gari crossing. also placed a poppy on the main panel for the rest of the 3/8 KIAs. I have recently sent some pix to Robin which update my trip (for those seeking Lost Trail info). I went with Frank de Planta, battlefield guide, and he can get photos of specific graves. Best wishes, Sue

Adnan, I might have been too hasty re that grave location because two Lal Khans were killed from the 3/8 Punjabis and I assumed, in error, that he died in May 44 not Nov 43 as you stated. I have a list of the 3/8 Punjabis killed at Cassino, most are May 44 and a name matched. I placed a poppy on the main panels for the 3/8, for those men not in individual graves in May 16. Best wishes, Sue.

Adnan.

I will be in the CWGC cemetery at Cassino on 30 Mar 17. If you would like a photo of your great uncle’s name on the Cassino Memorial, I would be delighted to get it for you.

Email me through my website http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk with your email address and I will send the jpeg photo to you from the cemetery.

Regards

Frank

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>