Information regarding a relative

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Joanne Ubee

Dear Sir/Madam
      I am currently researching my grandfather’s military record. The information I have so far is that his name was Henry Payne and he was born on either 26th or 27th December 1908. He was a corporal in the Royal Army Service Corps. I believe he joined up in 1939 and served in Italy at Monte Cassino, Anzio, Salerno and San Marino. His service number is 151251 and hHe was mentioned in Dispatches on 29 November 1945. I think he may have won a gallantry medal though unfortunately his medals are now lost. I would dearly love to find out how he won his medal and why he was mentioned in Dispatches. If you have any information that would help me, I would love to hear from you. Alternatively, if you know of any other sources of information that could help me find out more, I should very much like to know.

Thank you
      Regards
      Joanne Ubee

Scott BurrowsScott

The best way to start out is to apply for his service records.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Regards

Scott

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta

Joanne.

I checked the National Archives and only one Henry Payne won a gallantry medal in the war. He was in 30 Light Anti Aircraft Regiment in Nov 42.

If he was in San Marino then he would have been attached to 4 Indian Division. They were at Cassino but not Anzio or Salerno.

Regards

Frank

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>