Officers\'s mess, set up in the Palace of Caserta, nr Monte Cassino

Welcome to the Italy Star Association 1943-1945 website Forums Lost Trails Officers\'s mess, set up in the Palace of Caserta, nr Monte Cassino

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Janet Mulholland

Hello Everyone,

I’m writing to see if anyone out there remembers Neil Owe who ran the Officers’ Mess which was set up in the Palace of Caserta, geographically about 20 miles I think from Monte Cassino.

Neil Owen was my Dad. He told me he was in the 10th Army in North Africa where he was blown up, subsequent to which he woke up in hospital in Italy. He didn’t go back to fight but was given the job of running the Officers’ Mess instead, I think in 1942. He died at the age of 67 in 1987, but it’s only today while watching the Remembrance Sunday march that I heard mention of the Italy Star Assn. I have his medals, one of which is the Italy Star, so I thought I’d reach out.

Does anyone have any photos of the Officers’ Mess while it was functioning? I realise it’s a long shot, but I wonder if anyone remembers my Dad?

Many thanks for reading this, and any responses are most welcome.

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta

Janet.

There were only two British Armies in North Africa. The 1st Army was in Algeria/Tunisia and the Eighth Army was in Egypt/Libya.

I think you mean 1Oth Corps known as X (BR) Corps.

X (BR) Corps landed at Salerno in Sep 43 and then moved up the coast to the Garigliano fighting a lot along the way. Your father would have been wounded between Sep 43-Jan 44 I suspect.

He could not have been in Caserta in Jun 42 because the Allies did not occupy the Palace until Oct/Nov 43.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Frank

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>