Relative Search – John Michael (Mahi) Brough

Welcome to the Italy Star Association 1943-1945 website Forums Lost Trails Relative Search – John Michael (Mahi) Brough

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Geoff RustonGeoff Ruston
      Participant

Kia ora. I am 56 years of age and only two years ago discovered my true grandfather was John Michael BROUGH (serial number 807466) killed in action at Sangro River on 8 December 1943. I believe he was D Company (28 Maori Batt) but cannot confirm that. There is very little of anything out there about him.  I can’t begin to describe how proud myself and my sister are of this young man and the sacrifice he and his brave friends made. We know very little about his war service and reading the battalion diary for 7 and 8 December 1943 does not help in that regard (although a fantastic read). If anyone has any information they could give me I would so greatly appreciate it. My sister and I are trying to learn as much as we can about our grandfather.  Thank you and kind regards.

Brendon ReadBrendon Read
      Participant

Kia ora Geoff.

I would suggest contact the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) and obtain a copy of his service records or ask other members of your family for a copy in the event they have already done this. Basically because it takes some time for NZDF to respond and complete the request.

Secondly, I would suggest contacting the NZ Archives. There you can request a copy of the 28 Maori Battalion War Diary for the month of December 1943. It does cost money though for them to reproduce the diary in digital format for you. Alternatively, if you are near the Wellington region, you can go and visit the Archives and read the war diary yourself to see if your Grandfather is mentioned. I believe viewing records in person is free.  The Official Histories were written based on the war diaries but they do not contain the full detail. Even if it does not name your Grandfather, it should give you a deeper insight into the battle than what the official history will.

Best of luck,

Brendon

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>