Uncle Albert

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anthony BishAnthony Bish

My Uncle served in the 9th battalion Royal Fusiliers city of london regiment during the second world war.

His service number was 11420929

His name was Alfred Bish

He was killed in action on the 26 Dec 1944 aged 21, I am trying to find out where he was in the year preceeding his death and where he was killed.

If you could help in any way it would be greatly appricated.

Kind Regards, Tony Bish

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta
      Participant

Tony.

9 R FUSILIERS were part of 167 Infantry Brigade in 56 Infantry Division.  The Division landed at Salerno in Sep 43 and then progressed slowly northwards.  They crossed the Volturno in Oct 43 and then tackled Monte Camino in Nov and Dec 43.  The Division then crossed the Garigliano in Jan 44 before being deployed to prop up Anzio in Feb 44.  After being withdrawn to North Africa in Mar 44 they returned to Italy in time for the assault on the Gothic Line at Rimini in Aug 44.  They then pushed on into the Po Valley heading for Bologna along Route 9. It was in these battles to cross a series of huge rivers that he was killed.

If you would like more detail, get me through my website at http://www.Cassinobattlefields.co.uk

Regards

Frank

Participant

Tony.

Website at http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk

Regards

Frank

Participant

Tony.

Cassinobattlefields.

Regards

Frank

Anthony BishAnthony Bish
      Participant

Good afternoon Frank,

Firstly many thanks for sending me the information on the Italy campagne, it now helps us to understand the part uncle Fred played in this campagne.

Fred is buired in the Feanza war cementry, and unfortunally none in the family have ever been able to visit.

So before its to late, I am planning to visit Feanza in early 2022, accompanied by my Grandson, to make sure they are never forgotton.

Kind Regards,

Tony Bish

Participant

Tony.

If you would like to see what 9 R FUSILIERS did at Salerno in Sep 43, I am taking a group there on 31 Mar-3 Apr 22.

Regards

Frank

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>