What really happened to my uncle Gunner Henry Stannett?

Welcome to the Italy Star Association 1943-1945 website Forums Lost Trails What really happened to my uncle Gunner Henry Stannett?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Roy StannettRoy Stannett

I’m wondering if you can possible help us – I am in the throes of investigating my family history and have hit a dead end trying to find out what actually happened to my uncle Henry at the end of WW2.  We know that he is buried in Bari Cemetery, Bari, having been killed either right at the end of or after the end of the war, but can find no further details.  The family story is that he was on a train and was shot by a German soldier, but we don’t know if this is true or not, and, sadly, as with most families, the generation that might actually know the truth has all now passed on.  Another part of the family rumour is that his mother (my grandmother Florence Annie Butler (Stannett)) had to fight tooth and nail to get his name put on a war memorial because it was said that he didn’t actually die in the war, which only deepens the mystery!  If you can help me with this information that would be great, and I know my sisters and other members of the family would be pleased to know too.  Details to help you: his full name was Henry Stannett, born in 1920 he died on 26 Feb 1946 and is buried in Bari War Cemetery, he was in the Royal Artillery and his service number was 1811197.  I look forward to hopefully hearing from you with some information,

Kind regards,  Roy Stannett.

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta
      Participant

Roy.

You need to get his Service Record for his whole military story.

Go to http://www.gov.uk and, in the Search box, type ‘How do I obtain a Service Record’.

Follow the instructions.  Do not worry if you cannot complete every box.

Regards

Frank

Roy StannettRoy Stannett
      Participant

Many thanks Frank for your reply to my question – I’ve had absolutely no luck on the website you pointed me in the direction of, it just keeps telling me all about Covid rules and regs, how to get a log book, tax stuff and so on, but I will keep investigating other avenues.  Many thanks anyway, regards, Roy.

Frank de PlantaFrank de Planta
      Participant
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>