Contact us

ITALY STAR ASSOCIATION

1943-1945

SICILY TARANTO . ANZIO . SALERNO SANGRO . FOGGIA .
ANCONA CORIANO . FLORENCE . ORTONA BOLOGNA .
ARGENTA . PO VALLEY. CASSINO

EAST KENT BRANCH

Miss Terri Camm
teresacamm@yahoo.co.uk

SOUTH ISLAND BRANCH – NEW ZEALAND

Mr Peter Scott
peter.judy@actric.co.nz

“When you walk in peaceful lanes so green – remember us – and think what might have been”

We do remember them.

Veterans of the Italian Campaign, allied families and supporters!

1. Brian Rotte

My father Leonard Rote served in the DEMS and I was granted associate membership in 2013. Can I still join or rejoin. Let me know by email roote66@ntlworld.com
    Regards Brian Roote

2. brian ROOTE

Sorry can’t even spell my own name correctly! R e my last email!
    Sorry about it!

3. Mr Vivian Lewis

My dad fought at Monte Casino he initially was in the South Wales Border Reg but amalgamated with the Essex regiment he didn’t talk much about the war but told me about Monte Casino.How the sky turned dark with the amount of planes in the sky. I often asked if I could take him back but he always said no. Maybe one day I will visit there myself.I have his medals including the Africa and Italy star. My dad lost his arm on Christmas morning 1944 during the conflict of war.

4. Mr Vivian Lewis

I’m sorry I should have said my fathers name was Handel Lewis
    his army number was 4079054 and would you believe my dad who came out of the mines to fight in the war actually went back to work in the mines with only one arm. He was a pumpsman keeping the water being pumped out from underground. A marvelous man.He was from the village of Ystradgynlais in the Swansea Valley.

Vivian.

If you are interested, I am running a battlefield tour to Cassino on 17-20 May 44 if you would like to see what your father endured with 1/4 Essex. The battalion was very heavily involved in the Third Battle at a place called the Castle – an important piece of ground that both sides were keen on because it blocked or opened access to the monastery from the front of the hill.

The Essex Regiment were absorbed into my Regiment in the 1960s so I always have a soft spot for them. My battalion erected a memorial to 1/4 Essez at the base of the Castle in 2007 which is well worth seeing.

You can reach me on enquiries@cassinobattlefields.co.uk

Frank de Planta
      Guide

5. Karl Lawrence

My Grandfather Ronald K Suttle has the Italy Star. He was with the Royal Signals. He also received a MID for when the RS Offices were hit by a bomb and they managed to get comms back up. I was wondering if anyone has any further information. Grandad is now 93 and still well.

6. Edward Trowsdale

I have just come across the photograph of Polish dead on the Cassino battlefield in IWM archives and I’m sure the leading figure is my father Arthur Trowsdale who served as a wireless and lineman signaller in 8th Indian division.Does anyone know if this division was assigned burial duties after the battle?Dad never said much about Cassino except how awful it was…

Edward.

If you are referring to the photograph of men carrying a dead soldier wrapped in a blanket with other corpses on the ground then those are Polish soldiers. I know because I know the son of one of the men in the photograph.

The photograph is taken up on Snakeshead Ridge with the Doctor’s House in the background.

Whilst the two Infantry Divisions of II Polish Corps were fighting up on the heights behind the monastery, 8 Indian Division were down in the valley.

Get in touch and we can compare notes.

1. Edward Trowsdale

Frank,The leading figure in the burial party is the spitting image of Dad,Arthur William Trowsdale!I have been trying to recognise any regimental insignia of 8th Indian Division but seems to covered by his waterproof cape.The chap behind him may even be Alex Martin,his wartime chum.Dad passed away 15 years ago and all he said about Cassino was that “it stank”.Seeing all the telephone wires on the ground could signallers have been called up to the heights to try and clear the ground of all those poor Polish souls?Through the mists of time and the fog of war a familiar face is looking at me again…

Edward. I would appreciate it if you could get in touch. That photograph is taken up on Snakeshead Ridge and the chap with the helmet on the back of his head is the father of a friend of mine – and the spitting image too.

Frank de Planta

9. John Tompkins

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a long shot, But I am trying to re-trace my mother’s footsteps so I can take the same photo’s of myself in these places where she was during the war. She was an MP in Salerno just after the war and I believe this is where most these photos were taken, I am also doing this with my Dad in france.

I have been told by family that there were barracks in Salerno possibly at the Palace?

The photo shows a building with “Montecasini” written on it, but I’ve searched evrywhere and all I can find with this name is in Northern Italy? Does anyone know where or the name of the building in Salerno that was used by the army just after the war!

If anyone could help me to identify these buildings I would really appreciate your help!

Many thanks.

John.

Without wishing to teach you to suck eggs, could she mean Monte Cassino – with the monastery on top.

As an MP it is likely that she would have travelled the route Salerno-Naples-Rome on traffic control so she would have passed Monte Cassino on the way.