Reply To: Information still desired

Richard HiggsRichard Higgs
Participant

Good Afternoon Geoff,

I came across your message by accident this afternoon and obviously I am not sure if you still are looking for information regarding your uncle Bill.

My name is Richard Higgs and my father was Thomas Higgs who was in the 2nd Battalion,Coldstream Guard. Sadly my dad passed away in January 2002 and his ashes are at The National Memorial Arboretum near to the Italian Campaign Memorial.

My dad was born in Cannock in 1919 and lived most of his teenage years in Parker Street, Bloxwich.

If your late father was a police officer than I think we have a common theme. I was pulled out of a badly damaged car by PC G. Perks on Christmas Eve 1960. This accident happened on Parker Street, Bloxwich. I remember also seeing your dad on duty at Fellows Park, Walsall in the 1960s on many occasions during my formative years.

My Dad always spoke with great fondness of Bill but never called him William to my knowledge. I think they were the best of friends. I have a photograph of dad plus Bill and a third guardsman at Caterham Barracks.I think I also have a picture of Bill and my dad in a trench sleeping. Dad spoke of training at Blairgowrie but they did not know what they were training for or where they were going. Next destination was on the HMS Princess Beatrix  to Anzio.I know that dad and Bill fought next to each other at Anzio where I think Bill was sadly shot and killed. After the battle of Anzio my dad ended up in hospital in Naples where he was diagnosed with “shell shock” and lost his the ability to speak for many months.

I hope the information is about the relevant people.

>