Contact us

ITALY STAR ASSOCIATION

1943-1945

SICILY TARANTO . ANZIO . SALERNO SANGRO . FOGGIA .
ANCONA CORIANO . FLORENCE . ORTONA BOLOGNA .
ARGENTA . PO VALLEY. CASSINO

EAST KENT BRANCH

Miss Terri Camm
teresacamm@yahoo.co.uk

SOUTH ISLAND BRANCH – NEW ZEALAND

Mr Peter Scott
peter.judy@actrix.co.nz

“When you walk in peaceful lanes so green – remember us – and think what might have been”

We do remember them.

Veterans of the Italian Campaign, allied families and supporters!

John.

I will be taking a group to Salerno in 2020 and it will include the landing beaches of 56 Infantry Division and their push inland towards Battipaglia and Montecorvino Airfield.

If you are interested in joining that study, do get hold of me via my website http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk

1. Alan taylor

Hi Frank, just wondered if you could help, my father came from Wigan Lancashire but was with the Royal Grenadiers during WW2, he never spoke much about the war and only collated bits of information as a child when he would have the odd conversation with one or two family members who where also in the war

I know he started off in North Africa and then on to Italy for the Salerno landings, I also know he was at Mt Casino, Rome, Florence and on toward Austria and then to Berlin but there are a lot of blanks in between, I also remember that he was attached to the American 5th Army for a period but just wondered if you could tell me the route that the Grenadiers took ?

His name was John Edward Taylor but unfortunately I don’t have his company number

Alan (Wigan Lancashire)

Alan.

Rather than Royal Grenadiers, I think you mean the Grenadier Guards. If he was at Salerno then he was in 6th Battalion Grenadier Guards (6 GREN GDS) who were part of 201 Guards Brigade who themselves were in 56 Infantry Division. 56 Infantry Division and 46 Infantry Division landed at Salerno on 9 Sep 43 as part of X (British) Corps who were part of US Fifth Army.

6 GREN GDS moved up Italy and had two brutal set piece battles – the first on Monte Camino in Nov-Dec 43 and the second at the crossing of the River Garigliano in Jan 44.

Get me through enquiries@cassinobattlefields.co.uk and I will happily give you more information on 6 GREN GDS’s travels.

2. Colin Meanwell

Trying to trace my Grandfather Harry Meanwell! RASC I’ve been told he served in Italy during the war. Tried the usual websites, military records and the such like with no luck. Any information would be much appreciated

1. colin Pheasey

you need to apply to Glasgow for all his records as I did. it will take a little time but it is well worth the effort. all the information will be included and you can start to link things together.it is on Gov web site search for records. I have been looking at my fathers records for the past 9 years and have a large collection of information. War records of each regiment are available if you dig hard enough. My fathers were in The Royal Artillery in London and I live in Manchester. we had to travel to London.Contact Glasgow as a start.

Colin.

Go to http://www.gov.uk and type in ‘Obtain a Service Record’. This will show you how to get his Service Record from the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow.

That will tell you everything.

4. Jan Lancaster

I visited the National Memorial Arboretum today and was disappointed to see the Italy Star association board is very faded and just on a bit of card. Are there plans to make a lasting memorial there ?

1. Robin HollambyRobin Hollamby

Dear Jan,
      Thank you for visiting our web site.
      I am a little confused by your comment.
      If you scroll down to near the bottom of the welcome page you will find several photographs which were take in May this year of our shiny black memorial.
      Did you happen to take a picture of what you were talking about?
      You can contact me directly from info@italystarassociation.org.uk

Robin Hollamby. National Vice Chairman.

5. Tony MarsdenTony Marsden

Hi,
    I made an enquiry on your website as a guest and got a reply next day! Fabulous! I had to register to reply which I did but now it says no replies on this thread??

1. Frank De PlantaFrank De Planta

Tony.

It is on the Lost Trails tab.

6. Frank De PlantaFrank De Planta

Tony.

There were three battalions of GREN GDS in Italy.

3 GREN GDS were in 1 Guards Brigade and were in the Cassino area from Feb 44 where they held horrible pieces of ground like Monte Cerasola in the dead of winter and were later moved into the town at Monte Cassino in Apr-May 44 including the massive Fourth Battle of Monte Cassino. 5 GREN GDS were in 24 Guards Brigade at Anzio in Jan-Mar 44 and 6 GREN GDS were in 201 Guards Brigade who landed at Salerno in Sep 43 and fought north. In that time, they crossed the Volturno to the north of Naples in Oct 43 before assaulting the awesome Monte Camino in Nov and Dec 43. In Jan 44, they crossed the Garigliano and helped secure the Tremonsuoli-Minturno- Tufo feature beyond. It would be interesting to know if you can pin down which battalion he was in. Regards. Frank

7. GURJIT MANN

Dear Mr De Planto,

I write regarding my father Gurbachan Singh. Unfortunately he passed, before I got the opportunity to ask him details about his service. This much I do know, he was awarded the Italy Star and was stationed in Italy from 1945 to 1946. He served with the British Indian Army and I’ve tried to decipher information from an old army photo, without success.

I therefore write to ask if you have old photos of British Indian Soldiers that were stationed there and awarded the medal. Alternatively could you point me in the direction of where I can obtain such pictures and information.

Yours,

Ms G Mann

8. Frank De PlantaFrank De Planta

Gurjit.

Do you have any idea if he was an officer or a soldier?

If you could send me the photo I will see if I can help.

Reach me through http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk

9. Ruth Alston

I have just discovered you. My father fought with the 56th Division, and was at Salerno.
    1. Please could tell me what the Association does?
    2. I would be interested in visiting Salerno etc. when the pandemic is better under control Could you please send me any details?

Thank you so much.

Ruth.

56 Inf Div were one of two British Divisions who landed at Salerno on 9 Sep 43 and then progressed slowly north. I am taking a group to Salerno 13-16 Feb 21 if that is any good.

We spend quite a lot of time looking at what 56 Inf Div got up to.

Do you know what arm or service he served in?

Get hold of me by email at enquiries@cassinobattlefields.co.uk