Contact us

ITALY STAR ASSOCIATION

1943-1945

SICILY TARANTO . ANZIO . SALERNO SANGRO . FOGGIA .
ANCONA CORIANO . FLORENCE . ORTONA BOLOGNA .
ARGENTA . PO VALLEY. CASSINO

EAST KENT BRANCH

Miss Terri Camm
teresacamm@yahoo.co.uk

SOUTH ISLAND BRANCH – NEW ZEALAND

Mr Peter Scott
peter.judy@actrix.co.nz

“When you walk in peaceful lanes so green – remember us – and think what might have been”

We do remember them.

Veterans of the Italian Campaign, allied families and supporters!

1. Diane Pownall

Can you help me find out what my father william simm from ashton in makerfield ,wigan, did in ww2. We think he was with the 8th army serving in algeria, italy and he used to say austria was a nice place so presume there as well. He died died in 1985 aged 63 & he never spoke about the war just bits what he used to say after he came back from the pub where he would rhyme is number off sadly we never thought to write it down so we know very little. I have pics of him wearing his uniform but cant see if he as a cap badge.
    Kind regards
    Diane

Diane.

You really need his a Service Record.

Go to http://www.gov.uk and, in the Search box type ‘How do I obtain a Service Record’.

Follow the instructions. Put in as much information as you have and do not worry if you cannot provide every piece.

Once you have his Service Record, I will decipher it for you.

3. Diane Jackson

Thank you so much Richard. Every little bit of information is very much appreciated.

Do you have an address for the Church at taranto? I tried to find it when I visited there.

Also on the memorial it states Watson D but my uncle was Joesph???

4. Mick Steele

Hi. I’ve had Autumn 2020 magazine delivered to my address, with the name D.Hallam esq, as the name. I opened the package, like I said, as it’s my address. I’m more than happy to send it back to you or forward it on, as I don’t want Me Hallam not to have his magazine. By the way, it’s a very interesting read!! I look forward to hearing from you. Mick Steele

5. Mr Brian Justice

When dad died the family were clearing out the house but could not find any medals so my sister got in touch with the MOD and got replacement ones HIS NAME JOSEPH JUSTICE AND I BELIEVE HE WAS A PETTYOFFICER ON HMS NELSON one of the replacement medals is a Italian star I wondered if you had any information we would be very grateful

With thanks

Mr B.justice

Brian.

That would make sense. HMS Nelson was involved in the invasion of Sicily in Jul 43 and of mainland Italy in Sep 43. The ship left the Western Mediterranean at the end of Oct 43 to return to the UK and prepare for Normandy.

7. Ann Bailey

Hello. I have just heard about this assovation. My father was awarded the Italy star. We have the medal and his service record stating that this was one of the medals he recieved. However in the “Service with the colours” section there is no mention of service in Italy. How can this happen?

8. Frank De PlantaFrank De Planta

Ann.

Does it show Central Mediterranean Forces (CMF) on the Service Record? If it does then that is Italy.

What Regiment did he serve in?