Contact us

ITALY STAR ASSOCIATION

1943-1945

SICILY TARANTO . ANZIO . SALERNO SANGRO . FOGGIA .
ANCONA CORIANO . FLORENCE . ORTONA BOLOGNA .
ARGENTA . PO VALLEY. CASSINO

EAST KENT BRANCH

Miss Terri Camm
teresacamm@yahoo.co.uk

SOUTH ISLAND BRANCH – NEW ZEALAND

Mr Peter Scott
peter.judy@actrix.co.nz

“When you walk in peaceful lanes so green – remember us – and think what might have been”

We do remember them.

Veterans of the Italian Campaign, allied families and supporters!

1. Paul Gorton

Hi, I am looking for information on my grandfather richard Maden Hamer, army no. 2125508 royal engineers 625th field squadron sapper. Date of action 11/8/44 wounded incident date 7/9/44 – i dont seem to be able to find much about the 625th and assumed formed from another squadron??I am keen to find out where he was injured if thats possible and the story behind the 625th …. family story is somewhere near Cassino. I wish I’d asked him but he never wanted to talk about it other than sleeping on the terrace of a football stadium in Algeria

Paul.

625 Field Squadron RE was one of the three Field Squadrons who supported 6 Armoured Division. This meant that wherever the Armoured Division went, so did the three Field Squadrons. So, if you follow the 6 Armoured Division story, you will see where 625 Fd Sqn RE went and what they got up to.

6 Armoured Division were part of the British First Army in Op TORCH – the landings in North Africa in Nov 42. They fought through Algeria and finished in Tunis in May 43. They were the spearhead for the drive on Tunis. The Division then moved to Italy to take part in the massive Fourth Battle of Cassino in May 44. From there, they moved up the centre of Italy to Florence and then into the hills north of Florence for the assault on the Gothic Line. It was during this period in the hills that your grandfather was wounded.

Paul.

Get hold of me through my website http://www.Cassinobattlefields.co.uk and I will happily point you at a book that covers the three Field Squadrons in great detail. Spr RM Hamer is listed in the book as being wounded on 11 Aug 44.

I would be interested to know if he was involved in the tragic collapse of a bridge that they were building near Pontebba on 9 May 45 when 23 men were killed.

I will also put you in touch with people whose relations also served in 625 Fd Sqn RE.

4. Steve Higgins

Hello
    I ma researching my grandfather’s service history in the 2 7 Middlesex regiment. He was killed at Anzio in May 1944. I have requested his service record from the MOD but would appreciate any further information or advice you may be able to give?

Kind regards
    Steve Higgins

5. Steve Higgins

Hello
    I am researching my grandfather’s service history in the 2 7 Middlesex regiment. He was killed at Anzio in May 1944. I have requested his service record from the MOD but would appreciate any further information or advice you may be able to give?

Kind regards
    Steve Higgins

Steve.

I have replied to your email.

7. Cor Roest

Hello
    I am researching the war record of an old teacher of mine who evidently served in North Africa and Italy, having been evacuated from Cherbourg in June 1940. His name was Captain/Major Eric Campbell Colville. He came from the Isle of Man. He served with the King’s Regiment (Liverpool) and was apparently at Monte Cassino and Salerno so it’s possible (likely?) that he was in the 2nd Battalion of that regiment. He lost his batman there. I have made contact with his son who confirmed that his father was born in 1920 and had the service number 609 1796 however he doesn’t know much more about his war record aside from the above. Any idea where I could get a copy of JJ Burke-Gaffney’s “The Story of the KIng’s Regiment (Liverpool) 1914-1948 as I feel he may be mentioned in there? I’m new to this so thank you for any assistance.

8. Frank De PlantaFrank De Planta

Cor.

2 KINGS were indeed at Cassino but not at Salerno. The Battalion was part of 28 Infantry Brigade in 4 Infantry Division. 4 Infantry Division did not arrive in Italy until many months after Salerno. However, if he was at both then he could have been on the staff of the only Division that was at both Salerno and Cassino and that was 46 Infantry Division. Get hold of me on http://www.cassinobattlefields.co.uk and I will send you the List of Officers for 2 KINGS for 6 May 44 – five days before 2 KINGS was committed to the Fourth Battle. He is not on that list.

9. Frank De PlantaFrank De Planta

Cor.

Give the Prince Consort’s Library in Aldershot a call. They will have a copy of the King’s Regiment book and will, I am sure, look up the index for you. They are a really helpful bunch.

10. Frank De PlantaFrank De Planta

Cor.

Eric Campbell Colville was indeed commissioned into The King’s Regiment on 31 Dec 39 from Sandhurst. But his number was 112832.